Here is some interesting info from this month’s Trail Advisory Council meeting:
1. Completion of the new Hawaii Nature Center building will be delayed until sometime next year. The contractor has yet to solve a drainage problem with the building.
2. Sierra club volunteers will continue to work until October 23rd on Manoa Falls trail improvements. Their work consists primarily of spreading gravel on the existing trail. To date, it is estimated that almost 100 tons of gravel have been distributed.
3. Work continues on the new Makiki Aboretum trail linking the lower parking area with Nature Center. Remember, that when complete, we will be asked to use this new section in lieu of the road. This is a safety issue, so please kokua and give trail runners a good image.
4. DLNR will issue a 6 month permit on a trial basis for licensed tour operators to use Puu Ohia and part of Manoa Cliffs trail. Tours will enter the trails at Kalawahine near Concrete road, and turn around at Paoa Flats lookout. The group will then return via Paoa Flats trail to the trex sign, follow Manoa Cliffs to Puu Ohia, and exit to the paved parking area near the top of Tantalus.
Group size is limited to 12 including the tour operator. Permitees are allowed on this section no more than twice daily Monday through Friday only.
Manoa Falls is the only other authorized area for tour operations. If you see what appears to be an organized tour group on the trails in other areas or on weekends, please note as much info as possible (lic.#, name of tour, # hikers in group, etc.) and let Aaron Lowe @ DLNR know.
5. Again, a hearfelt "Mahalo" to all of you who took the time to come out and work on the Manoa Cliffs trail in August!
Aaron Lowe had only great things to say to the Council about HURT’s efforts. He looks forward to working with HURT runners again very soon. Currently, am in the process of becoming certified to take our volunteers out for repair work without DLNR’s supervision.
We will try for one more work session this year or early January ’06 in preparation for HURT VI – stay tuned!